If you want your child to grow into a strong, healthy, and beautiful smile, you need to prevent baby bottle tooth decay, and our The Art of Dentistry team is happy to help you do so! In order to keep your child’s oral health successful and strong, we recommend doing the following things:
· After your child eats, wipe their gums with a wet washcloth or gauze pad to wash away the harmful particles that reside there.
· When your child has teeth, brush them twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. As you brush, only use a small, rice-sized amount of paste until they turn 3 years old. Between the ages of 3 and 6, you can increase the amount of paste used to the size of a green pea.
· If your child is brushing their own teeth, make sure you are there to supervise. It is very important that they perform a thorough cleaning job and they do not swallow the paste.
· Place milk, breast milk, and formula in your baby’s bottle instead of sugary drinks, like soda and juice.
· Encourage your child to finish their bottle before they lie down to go to sleep.
· Do not dip your child’s binky in sugar or honey.
If you are interested in knowing more about baby bottle tooth decay prevention, please call 810.653.3503 today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Ronald A. Williams. We are here to help you give your child the best and healthiest smile possible!