The symptoms of gum disease, also referred to as periodontal disease, are typically painless, resulting in cases where many individuals do not know they even have it. Some common symptoms include bad breath that refuses to go away, swollen or bleeding gums, loose teeth, and gums that appear to be receding. Treatment for gum disease is available at The Art of Dentistry, but minimizing the risks is your first step to protecting your gums.
Enhance your smile with effective gum disease prevention. Here are some risks to be aware of:
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can have a harmful effect on your gums, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Smoking and chewing tobacco are major risk factors for gum disease. Beyond the host of other ailments that could potentially arise, smoking tobacco can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused by genetics alone. Some individuals tend to be more genetically disposed to gum disease than others.
– Those who suffer from diabetes are at a higher risk for infections, which includes gum disease.
– Hormonal imbalances in girls and women could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Gum disease can be caused by a lessened saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 810.653.3503 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Williams and Dr. Rydzon at our office in Davison, Michigan. Making your smile healthy again is what we endeavor to do!